July 14, 2011
One of the great things about this time of year is the bounty of summer fruit at the market- so incredibly sweet we can’t help but think of dessert. Chef Natalie of 5 Spot shared her very own recipe for an amazing dessert! Flourless Hazelnut Cake With Whipped Cream and Fresh Fruit. It was so delicious that a few people swore that it was, hands down, the BEST cake they had EVER had! You’ve got to try for yourself. You might just come to the very same conclusion.
– Sarah Holt
Flourless Hazelnut Cake with Fresh Cream and Fruit
2 cups powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
3/4 lb whole hazelnuts
2 tsp baking powder
1 pint whipping cream
a little powdered sugar for cream
fresh fruit such as berries or sliced peaches
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 8″ cake pan.
- Toast hazelnuts and coarsely grind or chop.
- Separate the eggs. Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Whip the egg yolks in the same bowl with the powdered sugar until it forms yellow ribbons. Beat in ground hazelnuts and baking powder. Fold in egg whites.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream and fresh fruit. Cake can be made in advance… it freezes beautifully!
Natalie put a little powdered sugar in her cream, and said molasses or honey works well too. She cut her 8″ cake in half horizontally, put a layer of whipped cream in the center, placed the top back on, and topped the whole cake with the remaining whipped cream and fresh fruit.
Comments are closed.