Some of our farmers are certified organic and some are not. For some, the National Organic Program doesn’t meet their standards, so they opt out. Each vendor has a story about the practices they’ve chosen. Queen Anne Farmers Market encourages you to talk with the vendors, ask questions, and listen to what they have to say.
Here are some questions you can try:
- What is this? How do I cook it/eat it?
- How did you choose to grow this variety of vegetable/fruit?
- What does it mean that you’re not certified organic?
- How are the animals on your farm raised?
- Where did you get the ingredients you use in your products?
- Who else works with you on the farm or in your business?
Also, check out Sustainable Table, which has an excellent set of guides for talking with the people who grow, make, or sell your food.
Like starting any relationship, you don’t have to ask the hard questions right away. Get to know your vendors just like you would any new acquaintance. “How are you?” and, “How’s the weather?” are always great places to start!
Comments are closed.